Sunday, September 13, 2009

I'm Back


I apologize to my 5 readers for the long delay. I am meant to be back in Provence as I write, but my health intervened. I have had unusual stress tests on my heart for two years that have confounded my doctors, as I work out quite hard and try to eat a Mediterranean diet, with little red meat and olive oil and grape seed oil instead of butter and margarine. I also lost 80 lbs. at Weight Watchers and have kept it off for 3 years. My previous eating habits were nowhere near as good. Well, they caught up with me, as I had a heart catheter done which led to triple bypass surgery.

I'm happy to report that it's a wonderful operation that frees up the heart to work properly. Therefore, the recovery is much quicker than regular surgery because you're better than when you went in. I am 5 weeks out and have resumed all normal activities and am slowly working my way back to my earlier exercise levels, with the help of a wonderful cardio rehab team.

So, this blog will revert to it's name and become North Florida pictures until such time as we return to France (hopefully in the Spring or next Fall).

I am starting with a picture of on of my Daturas in bloom. This is a wonderful plant here in sub-tropical Florida. It grows up to 8 feet tall and, periodically, is covered with the flowers that give it it's common name "Angel's Trumpet" It is scentless during the day, but late at night it has a lovely light scent that attracts nocturnal insects.

It's good to be back.

No comments: