Sunday, February 26, 2012

Spanish moss, garden, Roscoe

Of course Spanish moss isn't Spanish nor is it moss. It's an air plant or bromeliad. It seems to grow very quickly and is in most of the trees in our yard. It doesn't do any harm and gives most of the southeastern US that otherworldly look. It was once used to stuff mattresses. There was a huge fire at one of the mattress factories in 1901, here in Jacksonville, that is famous locally. It ended up destroying more than 2300 buildings and 146 blocks of Jacksonville, making 10,000 people homeless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really would like to know what camera you are using.

Unkadaved.

James Weekes said...

This was taken with a Panasonic G3 and the Panasonic 20mm lens, a lovely combination. I have a Pentax K-5 that I have kept for the lenses, but I only use it about once a week. I also have a Canon 5D, only because of the large sensor and 2 lenses, the 85mm f/1.8 Canon and the 35mm Zeiss. But 90% of my shooting is with one of three Panasonic Lumix bodies, G2,G3 and GF3 and the following lenses.
14mm, 20mm, 14-42mm, 25mm, 45-200mm, all Panasonic and 17mm and 45mm Olympus. My favorites are the 20mm and the 45mm.