Thursday, June 21, 2012

Three windows, Jax Beach

 I have watched this house for years. It was built during the housing boom. The owners apparently wanted all the space they could get, so they built to the edge of the sidewalk. For their windows they chose glass bricks, I would guess for privacy. The result is this trio of windows. I imagine that from the inside there would be nice diffused light from these windows.  But not being able to see out would bother me a lot (I'm a photographer). I do like the sort of abstracts of houseplants from the outside.


4 comments:

Martina said...

Glas bricks. I always thought these were a German invention of the 70's.

Really - could you imagine living behind these bricks? Me - not.

James Weekes said...

Glass bricks are very popular. I have seen interior walls made of them to let light but not vision pass. They were a fad for a while and you still see them in newer houses.

As to living behind them, not me either.

Martina said...

They are often used as a cheap means for ... hm .. let's see ...
this:
http://blog.blackandwhiteandcolours.de/?p=3246

James Weekes said...

You often see them in bathroom window spaces so peeping Toms can't look in. They are fairly rugged and let light in, but not for a whole ground floor. Sort of a creepy place.